- The Vitamin Cure for Alcoholism by Abram Hoffer, MD., Ph.D and Andrew W. Saul, Ph.D. A nutritional approach.
- Seven Weeks to Sobriety by Joan Mathews Larson, Ph.D. Also a nutrition-based approach.
- Stanton Peele, a psychologist who has specialized in addiction treatment for over 40 years, and believes people can and often do quit on their own, and that it’s not as hard as the industry would have us believe – his website is: http://www.peele.net/
- The Sinclair Method (book), in which the theory is that the actual mechanism of alcohol addiction is the opioid system in the brain. It recommends having a doctor prescribe an opiate blocker, and continuing to drink (controversial!). With the mechanism of addiction disrupted by the blocker, people gradually cut back as the opiates get out of their system, sort of. This approach often works when all else fails. http://www.cthreefoundation.org/about-the-sinclair-method.html#.VdnHSflVhBc
- Moderation management – http://www.moderation.org/ – offers resources and support online.
A Road Map to Self-directed Healing